There have been suggestions that Naby Keita has already played his last game for RB Leipzig.
With an agreement in place to join Liverpool this year, certain reports in Germany claimed that Keita could be announced as a Reds player as early as Sunday.
Liverpool had agreed a £48 million plus deal last August but Leipzig were eager to hang on to the 22-year-old for the duration of the season, unless the Merseyside club parted ways with an extra £13 million sweetener fee in January.
“[Naby Keita] wants to leave us in the summer,” Leipzig boss Ralf Rangnick said ahead of Saturday’s game.
— Pete O’Rourke (@SportsPeteO) January 12, 2018
“He will play with us until the end of the season. He is starting today. There isn’t more to say.”
But once Philippe Coutinho’s move to Barcelona was confirmed last week, pressure intensified on Liverpool to bring Keita in before the summer, however Jurgen Klopp would not be drawn into commenting on the deal during his press conference on Friday.
“My understanding is there is nothing to say about it,” Klopp said. “When we had this conversation around Coutinho, I said there was nothing to say about it. I will not start doing that now.
Who knows what to believe? https://t.co/a5AMizKw1c
— JOE.co.uk (@JOE_co_uk) January 12, 2018
“He’s a player of Leipzig, that’s what I know. And in the summer he will be…